The text for this article comes from page 16 of A Century of Connectivity at the University of Michigan.
The Michigan Daily, May 11, 1907, page 1:
DETROIT ENABLED TO HEAR MAY FESTIVAL CONCERTS
It is not Ann Arbor alone that is enjoying the May Festival; each concert is heard with as much pleasure by eager listeners in Detroit as by the crowds in University Hall. This new departure in long distance sound transmission is effected by the use of a recent invention known as the "televant," in connection with the long distance lines of one of the local telephone companies. The "televant" is essentially an exceedingly delicate and sensitive form of the ordinary telephone transmitter. There are two in use in University Hall for transmitting the May Festival concerts. They are suspended about the center of the hall and are scarcely noticeable to the casual observer, though a source of much curiosity to those whose attention they have attracted. Apparently, they are merely two small, round, black objects suspended from wires stretched across the hall and hanging almost directly above Conductor Stock's head. They are, however, connected to the batteries, induction coils, and relays constituting the transmitting apparatus, whereby the sound waves recorded by them are amplified and reinforced sufficiently for transmission to Detroit. The concerts are being received in Detroit by only a favored few, the object of the experiment being rather to demonstrate the possibilities of the "televant" than for business purposes.... The apparatus has heretofore been used chiefly for transmitting sermons and lectures.