This account contains errors, in part caused by confusion between two different San Francisco-area inventors. The original inventor was Francis Joseph McCarty (not McCarthy), and the brother who carried on his work was Ignatius Hubert McCarty. The company that now owned his patents was the National Wireless Telephone and Telegraph Company.

John P. McCarthy was a second, later, inventor, and he was the one who actually had the run-ins in 1910 with the "government wireless men".

Oakland Tribune, June 5, 1914, pages 7:



Boy  Dies,  But  Mayors  Are  to  Talk  Over  His  Wireless  Telephone.


    The ambition of a boy who, although he revolutionized wireless operations, died penniless on an operating table at the Oakland receiving hospital, will be realized when, from the top of Oakland's city hall and the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco next Monday, Mayor Mott and Mayor Rolph will talk to each other over his wireless telephone. The experiments of the boy, who, after his invention was killed in a runaway, have been carried on by his brother and others, and Monday's demonstration will mark its first public use as an established success.
    It was in 1902 that Francis Joseph McCarthy, then 13 years old, began to experiment. At the age of 17 he had talked through the air by wire waves. In 1906 he had obtained patents. The same year he was killed in a runaway.
    Since then his brother, J. H. McCarthy, his been experimenting. His station on the St. Mark Hotel will be remembered by Oaklanders. He also had a station in San Francisco.
    He and his father sold stock, and patented the device all over the world.
    The invention is now owned by a company headed by J. B. Ruegg, W. W. Hanscom is chief engineer, and the directors are Ruegg, Tyler Henshaw, John McNear, Harry Knowles and David Yarnell. Attorney George M. Davis is secretary of the new corporation.
    The demonstration between the two mayors Monday will be the first public work of the invention since McCarthy's station at the Hotel St. Mark. McCarthy, when his station was going, used to break into government wireless messages by placing a phonograph in his line. Complaints finally led to a dispute between McCarthy and Uncle Sam and later he agreed to leave certain hours of the day free for the government wireless men.