During this time, Lieutenant Herbert E. Metcalf's primary duties at Mather Field were helping to set up a radiotelephone service using airplanes to spot and report forest fires.

The original scans for these articles come from the California Digital Newspaper Collection.

Sacramento Union, January 7, 1920, page 13:

Sacramento  Radio  Club  to  Report  Fight  to  Union
    A precedent in reporting prize fights will be established January 16 when the ten round bout at Mather Field will be reported round by round to The Sacramento Union by the Sacramento Radio club.
    When it was announced that a bout would be held at the aviation field W. R. Coover, C. W. Williamson and Charles Frazier of the Sacramento Radio club immediately got busy making arrangements for actual tests of their work. Coover proposed that news of the fight he flashed to The Union by radio telephone. His idea favorably impressed other members of the club and arrangements were completed to carry out the proposal.
    Tests of service will be made two days before the fight.
January 15, 1920, page 5:

Lee  and  Ridley  Training  Like  Fighters  of  Years  Ago.


Friday's Bouts  at  Mather  Field  to  Help  Aviators'  Mess  Fund.


    Through the efforts of the Sacramento Radio club, the fight will be reported to the Sacramento Union by radio telephone. When the announcement was made that a fight would be held at the aviation field, members of the Radio club struck upon the idea of making a real test of their work. Arrangements are now complete for "Sacramento radio service."
January 17, 1920, page 8:
Wireless  Phone  Gives  Union  Fight  Returns
    The Union received round by round bulletins of the boxing matches at Mather field last night by wireless telephone. So clear and distinct did the sounds come that the listeners in Sacramento could hear the shouts of the crowd and even the clang of the gong which marked the rounds.
    The music which was played between the rounds and the voice of a singer were plainly audible. The experiment was in every way a complete success. The credit must be given to Lieutenant Metcalf, radio officer at Mather field, and the members of the Sacramento Radio club.
    Lieutenant Metcalf used in phoning the messages an improved army set designed for airplanes. On the receiving end were W. R. Coover, Wallace Brenner, Crawford Williamson and Carroll Frazier. All are members of the radio club.

Georgie  Lee  Defeated  by  Bud  Ridley  in  Excellent  Bout  at  Mather  Field;  Vierra  Wins
    Poor little Georgie Lee, the fighting Chinaman, went down to defeat at the hands of Bud Ridley at Mather Field last night after ten rounds of good fighting. Three newspaper men selected to act as judges for the bout were of one mind.
    The little Oriental did not take his beating sitting down. He was in the fighting every minute although from the first round it was obvious he was in for a trimming. Ridley took eight of the ten rounds. One was even and the other went to Lee.
    A crowd variously estimated between two thousand and two thousand five hundred fans witnessed the fight.
    It was Ridley's left that proved the undoing of the Chinese. Just as he did in their other two meetings, Bud jabbed his opponent almost at will.
    Three clean blows were landed in the initial round. These were chalked to the credit of Ridley. Each was a straight left to the Chinaman's face.
    As the gong sounded for the second round the fighters rushed into a clinch. Ridley put a straight left to his opponent's nose. He repeated with a right. Lee landed a light blow to Ridley's ribs as the little men fell into a clinch. The round was slow and uninteresting.
    The third stanza found the men on their toes. Lee started to show signs of speed. Twice he landed stinging blows to Ridley's body and twice the northwestern lad leaned forward for a clinch.
    Ridley closed the round with three hard lefts to the nose. Lee attempted a right cross in the opening of the fourth but his aim was wild. As he tried to regain his balance Ridley sent a lacing right to the forehead that sent Georgie to the ropes.
    There was nothing to the fifth and sixth rounds save that of a Ridley color. In the sixth the Chinaman's strength seemed to ebb fast and as he went to his corner it was apparent Bud's blows were telling.
    It was in the seventh that Lee fought his best fight. He was entitled to the round by his rushes and hard blows to Bud's body.
    The eighth was Ridley's, as also was the ninth. As 2000 gone mad fans cheered Ridley put the finishing touches on his work in the tenth and left no doubt in the minds of even the staunchest supporters that he was the better man of the two. The Chinese was hit with every blow known to prize fighting in that last round.
    As Referee Benny Wagner raised the winner's hand poor little Georgie strolled to his corner with the same expressionless look as he had entered. While his manager, Ancil Hoffman, was pulling his gloves. Fred Winsor, manager of Ridley, was skipping away with his pugilist a happy man.
    Wild Willie Webb took a decision over Referee Fred Bottaro and might have won from Kid Leo in his special eight-round bout but two of the three judges called the affair a draw. Webb and his jumping-jack proclivities seemed to make hit with the crowd. The first stages of the fight were his by a mile, but the draw derision apparently was based on Leo's strong finish. Willie, in one of his wild swings, caught Referee Bottaro a whack on the jaw that was displeasing to say the least.
    Frankie Vierra proved to Sacramento fans that he is to be seriously considered in the bantamweight class when he look a decision over Mike Drexel.
    Vierra's fighting in the fifth round was vicious. Frankie fought like a tiger. His smile gave way to a vicious look as the gong opened the round.
    Drexel seemed muddled at the unexpected change in Vierra. He could not meet his opponent's rush but shifted to the ropes, to the center, side stepped and attempted to clinch. It wasn't in the cards for Frankie to show mercy. His right started to work like a piston rod. Time after time he landed. Efforts of Mike to clinch were futile. Vierra was out to win. The decision was a just one.
    Drexel exhibited a badly swollen hand after the fight.
    Young Remy put Eddie Miller to sleep in the second round of their scheduled four round battle. Miller was game and took his beating like a man. Remy gave weight to his opponent.
    Soldier Willis quit to Soldier French in the third round of the curtain raiser.
    Half of the proceeds of the card goes to the aviators' mess fund.