Boston Globe, July 5, 1920, page 7:
SALEM HEARS MUSIC BY WIRELESS TELEPHONE
SALEM. July 4--Varied events in recognition of the 144th anniversary of American Independence were conducted this evening in this city. Patriotic services were conducted in many of the churches.
At the Calvary Baptist Church Rev R. W. Davis preached a stirring sermon on "Liberty for All." The several Unitarian bodies held a union service in the First Church. Rev Edward D. Johnson conducted the exercises, which included dedication of a bronze roll of honor in commemoration of the men and women of the Unitarian parishes of Salem who performed service in the World War.
At the headquarters of the Now and Then Association of Washington sq a concert and other entertainment was given from 9 p m until midnight, when a salute of 21 guns was fired on the Common. From midnight until sunrise dancing was conducted by the association in Now and Then Hall.
In Fraternity Hall in Washington at the first use of the wireless telephone in Essex County was successfully conducted under the auspices of the Odd Fellows' organization of Salem. There was a large and enthusiastic assemblage. All amateur station owners within a radius of 50 miles of Salem were privileged to entertain a large number of people with music and addresses.
Harry W. Miller, naval radio expert in service at the Navy Yard in Charlestown, operated the station in Fraternity Hall; Forest A. Stainbrook, Ralph H. Hersey and John Hatch a station in Bay View av. Two complete wireless telephone receivers and transmitters were lent by Rear Admiral S. D. S. S. Robinson, commandant at the Charlestown navy yard. H. S. Gawler, United States radio inspector, delivered an address.