Pacific Radio News, February, 1921, page 212:
NEW STATIONS OF THE FEDERAL TEL. CO.
(By Haraden Pratt, Acting Chief En-
gineer of Federal Telegraph Co.)
PRIOR to the world war, the Federal Telegraph Company, having its factory in Palo Alto, operated a chain of radio stations giving communication between all the principal cities of the Pacific Coast in the United States. Immediately upon the declaration of war in 1917 these stations were requisitioned by the United States Navy Department for military purposes, and the Federal Telegraph Company at that time made arrangements whereby its telegraphic service was continued between the cities in question through the use of land wire telegraph circuits leased from telephone companies for the purpose.
During the course of the war the equipment of these various radio stations was purchased by the government and in several instances removed or altered for military purposes, so that at the close of the conflict the Federal Telegraph Company was not in a position to return to the use of radio for conducting its inter-city telegraph service.
The company has recently effected arrangements for the erection of the necessary radio stations to permit it to again utilize radio for conducting this coast-wise business, and active construction has commenced on the first two units of this work, namely, the erection of two radio transmitting stations, one located near Portland, Ore., and one located near San Francisco.
Facilities Improved Since War
The engineering department of the company is taking advantage of this opportunity by erecting radio stations which will contain equipment capable of rendering far better service and handling a much larger volume of commercial traffic than was possible with the facilities in use prior to the war. The stations are first-class and modern in every respect, and are being equipped with Federal arc radio transmitters of the most modern design.
The most conspicuous and predominating physical feature of these stations consists in a 626-foot guyed steel tower of new and novel design and presenting several interesting features from an engineering standpoint. This tower consists of a latticed steel shaft six feet by six feet square, rising perpendicularly from a ball and socket joint at the ground, upon which it rests. Five sets of steel cables attached to massive concrete anchors are used for supporting this structure in a vertical position.
An umbrella type of antenna system having a diameter of approximately 3,000 feet is utilized for generating the necessary waves to be used for the transmission of radio signals. This antenna system has its center supported on the top of the 626-foot tower, just described.
The station near Portland is being erected on a tract of land bordering the Tualatin River, near the town of Hillsboro, Washington County, at a point approximately eighteen miles from the city of Portland. Radio operators located in the company's offices in the heart of the business district of Portland will control two radio transmitters located in this station. This method of control will enable messages to be transmitted from the station at the same time that messages are being received in Portland, thereby providing facilities for quadruplex operation, since there will be two receivers and two transmitters capable of simultaneous use.
Palo Alto Station Being Built
The station nearest San Francisco is being erected on a tract of salt water marsh land east of Palo Alto. Special construction at this place will be necessary for securing the required strength of foundations for supporting the steel tower and the radio station power house. The operators who will control the two radio transmitters in this station will be located in the company's telegraph offices in the business district of San Francisco.
The completion of these two stations in the early part of 1921 will see the inauguration of a reliable, efficient and high speed quadruplex radio telegraph service between the cities of San Francisco and Portland.
The Federal Telegraph Company, prior to and during the period of the war, built and installed a large number of radio equipments for the following radio stations: Radio, Va.; Darien, C. Z.; San Diego, Calif.; San Francisco, Calif.; Pearl Harbor, T. H.; Heeia, T. H.; Guam; Cavite, P. I.; Cayey, Porto Rico; Sayville, Long Island, and Annapolis, Md., the latter being a 500 k. w. plant. There has just been completed and passed into operation the largest radio station in the world, equipped with Federal arc radio apparatus in duplicate of 1,000 k. w. at the Lafayette radio station, near Bordeaux, France. This company is also manufacturing 300-2-k. w. radio transmitters for installation on vessels of the United States Shipping Board. A large number of these vessels have already been equipped. In addition to these, a number of 2-k. w. Federal arc radio transmitters are being used by the United States Postoffice Department in connection with the transcontinental air mail service.
Federal Arc Radio Transmitters. Manual for Radio Operators. Part 1 and Part 2. Published by the Federal Telegraph Company of San Francisco. First Edition, 1920. Part 1 contains information on General Principles of Radio Communication as applied to Arc Radio Transmitters. Part 2 is a description and instructions for the care and use of 2 KW Federal Arc Radio Transmitters, Models "K," "Q" and "X" and the 5 KW Federal Arc Radio Transmitter Type CT-1201 for ships and small land stations. The Manual contains 37 illustrations and half-tones of arc transmitters, circuits, maps and hints on arc operation. Price, $2.50 per copy, postpaid anywhere in the United States. For sale by Pacific Radio Publishing Company.