The original copy of this article comes from
Elmira (New York) Telegram, April 26, 1914:
For  The  Railroad  Men.
--Conversation by wireless telephone was carried on Wednesday between the Scranton and Binghamton stations of the Lackawanna railroad, a distance of sixty-three miles. Dr. Lee DeForest, of New York, inventor of the wireless phone, spoke into the transmitter at the Scranton station and was heard by his assistant, C. V. Logwood, in Binghamton. The test broke the record, and the city of Scranton enjoys the distinction of being the place where the human voice was carried by wireless thirteen miles farther than it ever has before. A test of the wireless 'phone between Scranton station and No. 6 passenger train due in Scranton from the west at 3:42 p. m. Wednesday, was not successful because the motor generator of the apparatus in the station was not in proper working order. Dr. DeForest is convinced, and so is the scientific world, that talking by wireless 'phone is already successfully demonstrated between fixed stations. His purpose in bringing his apparatus to Scranton was to test it between a fixed station and a moving train. Explaining the wireless telephone, the operator has a receiver at each ear held in place by two steel bands which run around the top of the head. A wire insulated like the cord on an ordinary telephone runs from the receivers to the apparatus. Through these two receivers he hears the tick-tick of the telegraph. When he is sending a message, he opens a switch and sends out the tick-tick sounds as on an ordinary telegraph instrument. The wireless 'phone is encased in a cubical oak box about fifteen inches to each dimension. A wire runs from this box to wireless telegraph apparatus. There is no receiver on the telephone, consequently all that can be done is talk into it, and let any wireless telegraph operator in some other part of the city or some other city or place listen as he would for wireless telegraph ticks. If he is tuned to the Scranton station he can hear the voice of the person talking into the transmitter in the Scranton station as he would have heard the telegraph ticks if they were being sent. Dr. DeForest started talking into the transmitter Wednesday at noon to determine whether his voice could be heard by Mr. Logwood in the wireless room in the Binghamton station. He rejoiced to hear in a few minutes over the regular telephone from Mr. Logwood that he had been heard. The first test of the wireless 'phone was made around New York city, and the doctor was able to send his voice twenty-five miles over land between fixed stations. William Marconi, the wireless man, took the apparatus to Italy and talked fifty miles between two battleships in the Mediterranean sea. After his success in talking to Binghamton, Dr. DeForest was hopeful of being able to transmit his voice to Mr. Logwood on "No. 6" train all the way between Binghamton and Scranton, but the vexatious kicking of the motor generator interfered. Ford Pethick, of No. 1,400 Delaware street, Scranton, who has a wireless telegraph apparatus at his home, called the Scranton Daily News Wednesday afternoon and said he heard Dr. DeForest talking to Binghamton.