The original scan for this article is at:
New York Evening World, May 1, 1920, page 1:


Return  From  Winter  Cruise  and  Will  Get  Shore  Leave  at  Once.


Times  Square  Hears  Bands  Play  While  Still  in  Bay  Over  Wireless  Phone

    The great Atlantic fleet of fifty war ships is lying at anchor off Riverside Park in the Hudson. The dreadnoughts and superdreadnoughts, battleships, cruisers and destroyers began passing the Battery shortly after 11 o'clock this morning. Because of the unfavorable weather only a small crowd lined the sea wall.
    While the Armada was not unheralded, not a gun from any of the forts boomed out a welcome shot. From the fort in the Narrows the intelligence was received that the salute to the fleet would come from Fort Jay on Governors Island. At Fort Jay it was said that no orders to fire a salute had been received.
    The procession passing the Battery was headed by Destroyers Nos. 289 and 290, over which hovered two seaplanes. Eight dreadnoughts followed in a single line, the battleship Pennsylvania, Admiral Wilson's flagship, being fourth.
    It was 12 o'clock New York time when the Pennsylvania dropped her mudhook off 86th Street, but it was 11 o'clock on board ship, the fact being made known to those on shore by six bells being sounded on board. Secretary Daniels was aboard the Pennsylvania with Admiral Wilson.
    Rear Admiral Glennon, commandant of the Third Naval District, accompanied by his aide, Lieut. Commander Langworthy, went out to the Pennsylvania in his barge and brought the Secretary ashore.
    On board the ships of the fleet are 15,000 sailors, who will take turns at their holiday ashore.
    Times Square knew of the arrival of the fleet before it passed the Battery. The movements of the ships were reported by wireless telephone to the radio tower in Times Square and then conveyed to the great crowd in the square through an amplifier.
    Then the crowd was treated to a concert by the bands on the various vessels of the fleet. There were bursts of jazz which set feet to moving on the sidewalks and then the strain of the "Suwanee River."
    It had been announced that Secretary Daniels would deliver an address, which would come by wireless telephone, but when he began to speak there was so much interference from the other ships as well as local disturbances that only a word or two was audible.
    The flagship and the main body of the fleet had been preceded earlier in the morning by the Rochester, heading fifteen destroyers, the Black Hawk, with four mine layers, and the Bridge, the ammunition ship. The Bridge turned out and anchored in Gravesend Bay in the safety area established for ships bearing explosives.
    The Rochester files the flag of Admiral Plunkett, the noted gunnery officer who took the big naval guns to France. Formerly she was the Saratoga, and before that the New York, flagship of Admiral Sampson at the battle of Santiago. The Black Hawk was a converted merchant vessel. Her commander, Admiral Strauss, is the man who was at the head of the mine laying operations in the North sea.
    Secretary Daniels, after leaving the Pennsylvania, went to the New York Navy Yard to inspect the latest and biggest fighting ship of the American Navy, the Tennessee, still in course of construction.
    For the last four months the fleet has been engaged in practice off Guantanamo, Cuba. It will leave New York the morning of May 17 for Hampton Roads.
    Each day of the fleet's stay in the river, shore liberty will be granted 6,000 men. Scores of entertainment have been arranged for them by the Salvation Army, Y. M. C. A., Navy Club, New York Community Service and other organizations.
    The public will be permitted to visit the vessels at anchor.