The Doubleday-Hill Electric Company was a well-known early supplier of radio equipment, with stores in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and Washington, D.C. In 1920, the company began experimenting with radiotelephony, in conjuction with a Pittsburgh amateur, Burton P. Williams, who held a standard amateur licence, 8EN. (In the January 3, 1922 Radio Service Bulletin it was reported that Williams had been issued a new Special Amateur licence, 8ZAE.) In October, 1921, Doubleday-Hill was issued a Limited Commerical (private) licence with the callsign of KQV, which on January 9, 1922 received a formal broadcast service authorization.
The Radio Amateur, A Department for Wireless News, By C. E. Urban

Pittsburgh Gazette Times, October 26, 1919, Sixth section, page 13: (Full column at Google newspapers.)

Telephone  Downtown  Soon.

    F. C. Potts, manager of the radio department of the Doubleday-Hill Electric Company, announces that his company will install a complete wireless telephone equipment soon. It is intended to be used for announcing new developments in the radio game to local amateurs. Mr. Potts said the intention is to install on trial the new alternating current wireless telephone produced by Dr. Lee De Forest of New York City. This is one described and illustrated here in a recent issue. It is simple in operation, all that is needed being the ordinary A. C. lighting current, the telephone being connected by the standard push-plug, similar to an electric iron. If unable to cover the distance desired with this telephone Mr. Potts says that the regular army type telephone will be installed, using a motor driven direct-current high voltage generator. A large aerial has been erected on the company's building at 719 Liberty avenue and plans have been also been made to install an efficient radio station which is powerful enough to work with their branch store in Washington, D. C., where a similar station is being installed. First grade commercial operators will be employed at both stations to handle traffic. Mr. Potts say that practically all arrangements have been completed and the stations will probably be opened for traffic about December 1 or sooner if possible. As an indication of the extent of amateur wireless activities at present Mr. Potts states that he has more trouble in getting material shipped from the factories than in selling it.
November 23, 1919, Sixth section, page 2: (Full column at Google newspapers.)

Local  Commercial  Station  Delayed.

    F. C. Potts, manager of the radio department of Doubleday-Hill Electric Company, announced in an interview a few days ago that the commercial station which that company planned to install to carry on traffic with its Washington branch store could not be opened for some time, due to the fact that all commercial stations are now under control of the United States Navy Department and will be until peace is declared officially. No license, therefore, for such a station as is desired by this company can be secured until control of the commercial stations reverts to its pre-war status. Mr. Potts says, however, that a special amateur license has been applied for, to cover the wireless telephone demonstration station which the company has ordered installed and which is expected to be opened in the near future. The wave length specified in the company's application for this radiophone station license is 450 to 600 meters, and the station will be operated at these wave lengths should the license be granted.
Doubleday-Hill advertisement

January 25, 1920, Fifth section, page 9: (Full column at Google newspapers.)

Wireless  Phone  Installed  by  Local  Firm.

    The latest type of radiophone, developed and produced in the laboratory of Dr. Lee De Forest at New York, has just been installed in the downtown store of the Doubleday-Hill Electric Company. Arrangements have been made by this company with a local music store to furnish the latest phonograph records weekly for use in connection with wireless concerts to be given on a regular schedule. This schedule has not been definitely fixed, but will be announced in a short time. The fact that different records will be played for each concert should add greatly to the enjoyment derived therefrom by the radio amateurs of this locality. The phone will also be used by this company to announced new development in radio and other items of general interest to wireless amateurs.
    Although no prearranged tests of the radiophone have as yet been made it was announced that conversation had been carried on with the station of Robert M. Carson of Springdale and Washington and Jefferson College, Washington, using only one No. 18 annunciator wire, about 55 feet long and 15 feet high at the highest point, for an aerial. While talking with the last mentioned station the operator of the phone switched connections over to a regular four-wire outside aerial, and states that they reported being able to hear every word spoken through the phone with their receivers laying on the apparatus table, at some distance from them, without requesting a "QTA." Speech transmitted by this phone was also heard very "QSA" by the writer at his station near Riverview Park. The voice modulation was perfect and the articulation exceedingly clear and distinct.
February 1, 1920, Second section, page 2: (Full column at Google newspapers.)

Preliminary  Test  of  Radiophone.

    On last Tuesday evening, the Doubleday-Hill Electric Company made a preliminary test of their new radiophone equipment, by rendering a short concert of about 15 selections, including many popular numbers, as well as operatic and classical pieces. The concert was enjoyed by quite a number of amateurs in this vicinity. It required very close tuning, however, on account of being so sharp, and there were many who failed to pick it up. The wave length used was below 300 meters, but for future concerts a wave length of about 350 meters will be used. Prior to starting the concert, a Q S T was sent out announcing the test. It is expected that a schedule of such concerts will be announced, through the medium of this column, some time in the near future, when tests have been completed and the apparatus working at its highest efficiency.
February 15, 1920, Second section, page 4: (Full column at Google newspapers.)

Radiophone  Concert  Schedule.

    The radiophone musical concerts promised the local amateurs by Doubleday-Hill Co. will start this week and be given regularly hereafter on a schedule which is, for the present, Tuesday and Thursday evening, from 7 to 10 p. m. All the latest popular music will be played and records changed for each concert. Messrs. Williams and Devinney will operate the radiophone for these concerts.
Doubleday-Hill advertisement

February 29, 1920, Sixth section, page 10: (Full column at Google newspapers.)

    On Sunday evening, February 22, and Tuesday evening, February 24, wireless concerts were given by Doubleday-Hill Electric Company, using the DeForest radiophone, which was operated by Messrs. Williams and Devinney at the station of B. P. Williams, Orleans street, North Side. Reports were received from Washington, Vandergrift and other outlying towns that the music was being heard clearly, Mr. Williams states. A few days prior to this a test was made by these radio men for the Doubleday-Hill company, transmitting the voice and music to a station in Butler, Pa., very successfully.
April 4, 1920, Fifth section, page 12: (Full column at Google newspapers.)

    We predict that during the summer season this year there will be an unprecedented amount of experimentation by amateurs on radiotelephony. The radiophone concerts given by Frank Conrad of Wilkinsburg, Doubleday-Hill Company, and one or two of our local radio fraternity who are the possessors of radiophone sets, has furnished such a demonstration of the practicability of this apparatus that an ambition has been inspired in many radio men of this vicinity to construct radiophones of their own.
September 11, 1921, Sixth section, page 7: (Full column at Google newspapers.)

    The Doubleday-Hill Company is now installing a complete radiophone transmitter which will be one of the largest of its kind in this section of the country. It it expected to be in operation by October 15. Work is now being rushed on the installation of this set in order that it may be completed before the mayoralty election, when it is planned to use the radiophone to broadcast election returns. Six G. E. 50-Watt power tubes will be used in conjunction with a one kilowatt 1500-volt motor generator set. The station will handle private commercial business with the Washington branch of this concern, where a similar outfit is to be set up. While no definite schedule has yet been arranged, the set will no doubt be used to give entertaining programs for amateur reception on certain evenings of each week. A limited commercial license has been applied for under which to operate the station.