This is an extract from the full article: Former San Jose Boy Now Foremost Expert in Radio.
San Jose Mercury Herald, December 10, 1922, page 25:


Emile  Portal,  Vice  President  of  Kennedy  Corporation,  as  Youth  of  16,  With  Charles  Herrold,  First  Successfully  Broadcasted  Concert  Through  Air.

    During Mr. Portal's stay in New York he put in an apparatus at the Yale club so that members and friends might hear the progress of the Yale-Princeton game from the field, instead of receiving it, as heretofore by telegraph. Every word and syllable of the announcer's description was distinctly heard in the clubrooms--even the cheers of the crowd on the bleachers added enthusiasm to the closely packed mass of humanity, who in New York thrilled to the spirit of the devotees of football on the field miles away in New Jersey.
    So successful was the radio transmission that when the Yale-Harvard game was played, the New York alumni who could not get away to New Haven enjoyed the game in their own club rooms. "Instead of the attendance being less than usual," said Mr. Portal, "it was more than ever and every inch of space, including the aisles in the lounge were filled, the three entrance doors were so packed that it was almost a physical impossibility to get in and out the little balcony was packed and the crowds backed up into the billard room and the corridors and stairway leading to the big lounge. The spontaneous enthusiasm at the first game when the tide of favor was nothing compared with the demonstrations at the club during the Yale-Harvard game. Several of those in my immediate vicinity in conversation agreed that they had never seen greater enthusiasm right on the ground than was evidenced by our audience.

Clemenceau's  Arrival  Told.

    "The announcer's description of Mr. Clemenceau's arrival on the field and of the triumphal passage from the Harvard to the Yale side between periods with certain pertinent references to his mission were very impressive. You could have heard a pin drop in the big room, so enthralled were the crowd, when the Yale band (transmitted from the field by a radio) struck up the Marseillaise the crowd rose to a man and joined in the refrain. Apparently the announcer and others at the field cleared everything for it and it came through without interruption or distortion of any kind.
    "The telegraph operator with his instruments was there in reserve. I had told the club that I recommended that they not countermand the order for the service, not knowing what might happen. He rendered no service whatever however except that between periods he did give the score of the Army and Navy game and at another game. The superiority of the radio report over the telegraph method was most graphically demonstrated. The inactive operator and the muffled sounder were mute testimonials of the passing of the old and the advent of the new. Several, including the superintendent of the club, commented on this feature."