The "Mr. Young" referenced in this review is Leo C. Young. The website has the full text of Radio Reminiscences: A Half Century.
Radio Reminiscences: A Half Century by A. Hoyt Taylor, First Edition - 1948, Republished - 1960, pages 88-89:

CHAPTER IX - 1919-1923


        In the meantime our people in Naval Communications were asking for more and more channels of communication, so we began the exploitation of frequencies higher than those commonly used by military and commercial services. It should be remembered that the theory of wave propagation accepted at that time indicated that as the frequency went from low to high, the absorption losses over the route from transmitter to receiver rapidly increased. This was the reason that the amateurs were assigned frequencies in the neighborhood of 1500 kilocycles. It was considered that frequencies in this range and higher shouldn't be useful for military or commercial communication. Actually an enormous number of tests which substantiated the theory had been carried out. What nobody realized at the time was that the existing theory was invalid for frequencies much higher than 1000 kilocycles. The reasons for this will be given in the following chapter.

        In spite of the fact that theory indicated that we would get only moderate ranges on 1500 kilocycles or higher, Mr. Young and I thought that there were many instances were the Navy did not need long distance communication, but would be able to use communication of moderate range on channels entirely separated from, and not interfering with, longer wave communications.

        The amateur fraternity was the principal organization which was actually operating on frequencies of 1500 kilocycles or higher. Therefore, we tuned up a transmitter at Anacostia to 1500 kilocycles and started contacting amateurs in various parts of the country and, with their assistance, studying wave propagation phenomena. Many an amateur still operating will remember the work he did with us when we operated under the call letters NSF and NOF, the NOF call being used in the latter part of the Anacostia period for all broadcasting and amateur communication.

        We took part in the fading tests organized by the American Radio Relay League, Mr. Young devising a system of automatically repeating the test signals from a local amateur, 3XF, so that our signals went out simultaneously with those of 3XF but on a sufficiently different frequency to prevent interference. Thus the relative fading effects on two nearby frequencies could be judged from the reports of near and distant amateur stations.

        These early experiments in cooperation with the amateurs threw an interesting light on wave propagation effects in this little explored band. Many times extraordinarily long ranges were obtained with very limited power, especially at night in the winter. This close cooperation between the Navy and the amateurs endured for many years. In fact, it endured until the Navy had developed a sufficient number of high frequency stations on shore and shipboard to get adequate observations within its own service. The Navy owes the amateurs a great debt of gratitude for the hearty cooperation they gave in those days, when so little was known of frequencies beyond 1500 kilocycles.

Pages 91-93:

        We very soon found from our amateur reports that we had a wide circle of listeners whenever we operated at night. In order to increase this group and their interest in the work, we started broadcasting music in 1920. At first we operated with my old Columbia phonograph and a few very old records.

        Within a year or so we had fan mail from some twenty eight States and a number of people sent in new disc recordings because they got tired of hearing the same old records on every transmission. In particular, it is recalled that Senator France of Maryland, sent in a record "Maryland, my Maryland" requesting that it be played on a certain evening when he was holding a gathering at his home. Later on, the Washington Radio Group of which Young was a member, presented him on Christmas in 1921, with a phonograph with one hundred records, provided he would use it at the Anacostia Station.

        Our station was operated entirely by volunteers who received no pay for their night work. Since we had a heavy daylight program on aircraft work, previously described, we didn't feel we could put in more than two evenings a week on such work. We fitted up a crude studio, using canvas drapes to cut down the reverberation time. Our first broadcast of music, other than phonograph music, was arranged by Miss Bird Mock. A piano was moved in and a program, consisting of piano solos, singing with piano accompaniment, and piano and violin music, was put on the air. Later on we repeatedly broadcast Marine Band Concerts, involving as many of the Band as we could get into our small studio.

        Miss Mae Cross (now Mrs. Pope, Assistant Head of Field Service Branch, Office of Naval Research) participated in one of these concerts in 1922, singing a song entitled "Spirit Flower".

        During this same period, we were approached by the Public Health Service. With the permission of the Navy Department, we began to broadcast public health lectures twice a week. Surgeon General Cummings, as I recall, made the first broadcast, but most of them were made by Mr. Heath. One of these broadcasts was on venereal diseases which, in those days, were not mentioned in the newspapers or talked about over the radio. Secretary Denby, who was visiting friends in Chevy Chase, heard this broadcast and was indignant with us for letting such material to go out over a Navy Station. We evaded censure by stating that, under the orders of the Navy Department, we had merely put the facilities of the station at the the disposal of the Public Health Service and had no control over the subject matter of the lecture.

        An amusing incident occurred in connection with one of our broadcasts. A Press Club group called up and asked if we could put on a broadcast which they might receive while President Harding was their guest. Neither Mr. Young, Mr. Gebhard or myself were at the station at the time this request came in, but several of the radio men who had been working with us were on the station, so they attempted to put it in operation. They finally succeeded, but not before they had done a lot of pretty tall swearing while they were trying to locate and close the various switches necessary of its operation. Unfortunately, a lot of this language came thru to the listeners of the Press Group, but it was treated as a good joke and we were not reprimanded.

        This station was the first to put the voice of a President on the air, or for that matter, the voice of a Chief Justice, Senator or Representative. President Harding and Chief Justice Taft were both put on the air, thanks to the cooperation of the Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Company, on the 30th of May 1922 during the dedication of the Lincoln Memorial. Mr. Lodge, of Massachusetts, was the first senator to broadcast. He gave a talk to a group in his home town Nahant, Massachusetts, speaking from his home in Washington. It was received fairly well but, unfortunately, a good many other people besides the people in Nahant heard the talk. The senator was quite indignant that it was not restricted to his own town. Albert Beveridge, ex-senator from Indiana, also spoke over this station. Representative John L. Cable, of Ohio, spoke on the l0th of February 1922. There were others, but I am not able to recall them now.

        President Harding requested that a receiving set be installed at the White House. This set with a suitable loud speaker was made up at the Navy Yard, Washington. I had the pleasure of supervising the installation in the President's office.

        The Anacostia Station was the first to broadcast from the House of Representatives. This again was done through the cooperation of Mr. Creasy of the Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Company, who arranged for a special set of high fidelity telephone lines.

        The last historically important broadcast from Anacostia occurred during the early part of December 1922, when for the first time in history a President's message to Congress was put on the radio. The broadcast was sent out on a mu1tiple tuned antenna, with an input of about 1 kilowatt, on a frequency of approximately 700 kilocycles. From this time so many special programs were requested that work was beginning to interfere with research. The Navy Department therefore proceeded to install a suitable transmitter at Arlington. Thereafter all broadcasting, either in the public interest or specifically in the interest of the Navy, was carried on from Arlington, the first broadcast from there being approximately January 3, 1923. The Anacostia Station continued contact with amateurs, but the station was thereafter used for the advancement of research and development only.